Sunday, May 6, 2012

I "missed her point"!

No, I'm not in trouble with Brenda. Well, not that I know of at least. In the wacky world of sailor's lingo missed her point means a boat that turned wider or closer than intended. The language of sailing has centuries of tradition which baffles and bewilders even the accomplished sailor. For someone just learning to sail it is just plain impossible. For example, sheets are not pieces of cloth. Instead they are lines used to control the sails. Go figure.

I love the tradition and lore that goes with sailing. The quirky language plays a fun role in this love, so I'd like to share some of the odd words and phrases on this site. I will pick one out and post it for you to try and figure out. I will give the definition or explanation for it when I post the next challenge word or phrase.

Polliwog

Is it a small furry critter? Maybe a dance from the 50's? Guess away. If you already know it, I am impressed.

Mike (still a polliwog)

1 comment:

  1. I always thought a Polliwog was a frog. Isn't it??!
    Must not be if it's on a sailing blog, though Frogs go inthe water...so maybe.

    ReplyDelete