|This is what we started with.|
Well, we certainly were guilty of having a (we are only going to admit to one) tangled mess in one of our lazarettes. Every time we needed a line, fender or the lunch anchor we fought our way bravely through the mess, and sometimes even found what we needed.
I had removed the majority of the teak pieces off our Com-Pac 19 to sand and pretty them up. While I was working in the shop the fumes got to me and I had an idea. An idea fueled by teak oil and spar varnish fumes has to be a good one, right?
|Some of the removable wood on our CP19|
I decided to tackle that lazarette mess by building a mount for the lunch anchor and also build a copy of another sailor's line organizer. I had seen this organizer in one of those glossy sailing magazines. A couple good sniffs of the shop fumes and it was time to fire up the power tools. Being a lifelong woodworker, I can usually sketch something up in my head and create it on the fly. Well, the simple lunch anchor mount was quickly knocked out and I also made up the super simple line organizer. "Geez, why stop now?" said my fume happy little mind. "Let's make that cup / binocular / VHF holder too!" Bring out the hole saws and away we go. Eventually I ran out of wood, so I figured I'd better stop. A little more sanding, oiling/varnishing and we have our new items ready for installation. I clamped the line organizer to the underside of the lid so the glue could set. Unfortunately, I later bumped the lid closed and the organizer slid out of place smearing the glue. I cleaned it up after it dried, but the pictures show the whoops. The anchor mount installation went much better and soon I was coiling lines and prettying things up.
|Mike's glue mess.|
|New lunch anchor mount - neat way to hang it in a handy spot.|
|Line organizer and anchor mount in lazarette.|
Now, about that mess on the starboard berth........